Do you ever look in the mirror and wish that your face had a more even skin tone? Or yet, do you admire the skin of celebrities photographed in magazines and the movies? You too can get beautiful skin with a series of visits to the doctor’s office for microdermabrasion.
Microdermabrasion is one of the more recent skin-care techniques to have crossed over from Hollywood to the mainstream. As an effective alternative to costlier and more invasive procedures like plastic surgery and chemical peels, microdermabrasion is an instant facial rejuvenator.
So what exactly is microdermabrasion, what does it promise and what effect does it usually have on the face? Continue reading below to find out the answers to your questions.
What is Microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion is a general term for a noninvasive, skin resurfacing procedure that gently exfoliates or polishes away the uneven top layer of dead skin cells, while stimulating collagen growth, to reveal healthy new skin that looks and feels smoother.
What Can Microdermabrasion Do?
This type of skin rejuvenation is used to treat light scarring, discoloration, sun damage and stretch marks. When done in a series, microdermabrasion can:
- Improve age spots and blackheads
- Improve hyperpigmentation (patches of darkened skin)
- Exfoliate your skin, resulting in a refreshed appearance
- Lessen the appearance of stretch marks
- Reduce fine lines and wrinkles
- Reduce or eliminate enlarged pores
- Treat acne and the scars left by acne
One of the most significant benefits of microdermabrasion is its anti-aging effect; it helps to thicken your collagen, which results in a younger looking complexion. Collagen is a protein in your skin that is abundant when you’re a child; it gives skin a taut appearance and smooth texture. Collagen production declines as we age which results in loose, uneven skin.
How Does it Work?
- A diamond microdermabrasion system contains a:
- Connecting tube
- Hand piece
The most advanced non-invasive, non-laser exfoliation procedure is performed using a Diamond Microdermabrasion Machine which acts as an intense exfoliator and electronic vacuum; the machine works by:
- Applying a gentle and controlled amount of pressure, a wand with a diamond-encrusted tip is passed over the skin.
- The diamond tip abrades the skin.
- The exfoliated particles are then vacuumed away through the wand.
The diamond tip Microdermabrasion System exfoliates and rejuvenates, leaving skin looking softer and brighter.
Who Should Consider Microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion is useful for people with:
- Dull or sallow skin
- Mild acne
- Pick marks
- Superficial acne scars
Benefits of Microdermabrasion
- Non-invasive – Treatment tackles flaws at the surface level, treating only the outermost layer of skin.
- Painless – During treatment, you may feel scratching or mild stinging. Skin may be swollen or slightly red but only for a couple of days.
- Quick – Depending on how much the coverage area there is, the procedure is quick lasting 30 minutes to an hour.
- For all skin types – Whether it’s sun damage, aging skin or oily skin, microdermabrasion will benefit your skin.
- Safe and effective – In the hands of a skilled technician, microdermabrasion is safe – Much more reliable and safer than home microdermabrasion kits.
How Often Can I Have Microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion can be done every two weeks or up to every month depending on your skin’s tolerance and desired cosmetic effects.
The human skin typically regenerates at approximately 30-day intervals, skin improvement with microdermabrasion is temporary and needs to be repeated at average intervals for continued improvement. Usually, multiple treatments are recommended to see a significant improvement.
What Should I Expect Before, During and After Microdermabrasion?
- Eye protection such as eye pads or goggles may be placed.
- The skin may be prepared and cleaned of makeup and oils.
- No anesthetic is required
- The skin will be stretched to provide some tension to achieve the most effective abrasion and vacuum.
- The hand piece is moved over the skin with repeated single, smooth passes.
- Mild pinkness of the skin is the desired outcome and usually resolves within minutes to hours after treatment.
- You may experience mild sunburn-like sensation for a few days.
- Liberal application of sunscreen is recommended as photosensitivity may increase after treatment.
Your Microdermabrasion Consultation
Be prepared to discuss:
- Your aesthetic goals
- Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
- Current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drug use.
Be sure to ask questions. It is important to understand all aspects of microdermabrasion. Don’t be shy about discussing your concerns with your plastic surgeon.
Dr. Leslie Smith is the founder of Sapphire Advanced Aesthetics and a board certified skin specialist. Her training and experience make her one of the top cosmetic doctors in the Minneapolis St. Paul area for skin rejuvenation. Dr. Smith offers microdermabrasion to help restore skin to a healthy, youthful glow that will have you loving the peeling feeling.
Call us at 952.460.1970 to book your microdermabrasion consultation today!
Posted in: Skin Treatments