You might be contemplating a thread lift, a modern approach to facial rejuvenation. This minimally invasive procedure uses biodegradable threads to lift and reposition facial tissues, offering a refreshed and youthful appearance without surgery.
How Does a Thread Lift Work?
- Procedure Process: During a thread lift, fine needles are used to insert the threads under the skin. These threads are placed strategically along pre-marked contours of the face or other target areas like the neck, jowls or brows. The insertion process usually takes 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the treated area.
- Mechanism of Action:
- Lifting Effect: Once inserted, the threads anchor to the skin and are gently pulled back to lift and smooth the desired area. This immediate lifting effect is due to the physical repositioning of the skin. The threads act as a scaffold, supporting the lifted tissues.
- Collagen Stimulation: Besides the immediate lift, thread lifts stimulate collagen production. Collagen is a vital protein that helps maintain skin elasticity and strength. As the body reacts to the presence of the threads, it naturally produces more collagen around them, which adds volume, improves skin texture and reduces wrinkles.
What Are NovaThreads?
NovaThreads are a specialized type of thread used in the Nova Volume Lift procedure. These threads have gained popularity in the field of aesthetic medicine for their safety and effectiveness.
Here’s a detailed look at this type of thread:
- Material: NovaThreads are made from polydioxanone (PDO), a biodegradable and biocompatible material that has been safely used in medical suturing for many years. This material is known for its strength and flexibility.
- Types of NovaThreads:
- PDO Barbed Threads: These threads have tiny barbs that latch onto the skin to provide lift and support. They are typically used to lift and reposition the skin in areas like the cheeks, jawline and neck.
- PDO Smooth Threads: These are used primarily for collagen stimulation. They are placed in a mesh-like pattern under the skin to promote natural collagen production, improving skin texture and firmness.
What’s Recovery Like After a Thread Lift?
Recovering from a thread lift like the Nova Volume Lift is generally faster and more comfortable than recovering from traditional facelift surgery. During your recovery, you may notice mild symptoms like swelling, redness and soreness. These typically subside within just a few days, and you’ll see the initial results of the lift immediately. These results will continue to improve over several months as your body increases collagen production.
The Significance of Proper Thread Lift Aftercare
The appearance and longevity of your thread lift results, which can last from one to three years, are influenced not only by the expertise of your surgeon but also by your post-procedure care, particularly your sleeping habits. As the threads gradually integrate into your skin and stimulate collagen, they are in a delicate state of setting. During this critical period, your sleeping position plays a pivotal role in the healing process and the ultimate outcome of your lift.
What’s the Ideal Sleeping Position After a Thread Lift?
To maximize your recovery and results, we advise adopting a back-sleeping position for three to five days after your procedure. This position helps avoid excessive pressure on your facial tissues, ensuring minimal interference with the settling threads to promote their smooth integration into your skin and uniform collagen formation. We recommend placing pillows on either side of your head to help maintain this back-sleeping position. In addition, elevating your upper body at a 45-degree angle while you sleep for the first few days can help decrease swelling.
The Potential Impact of Pressure on Healing Facial Tissues
When you sleep on your side or stomach, the weight of your head applies pressure and potential movement to the newly adjusted tissues of your face. This can lead to the following issues:
Asymmetrical or Uneven Results
If your face is pressed against your pillow or bed and you move in your sleep, it can cause shifting or displacement of the threads and potentially result in asymmetry or unevenness in your results. Movement of the threads may also hinder the even distribution of collagen as it forms around them, further contributing to imbalanced results.
Indentations or Irregular Contours
Pressure points from sleeping on your face after a thread lift can create indentations or irregular contours in your skin.
Prolonged Recovery With Increased Swelling and Bruising
Pressure on your face can compress blood vessels and impede blood flow to the treated area. This may slow down your healing process and lead to prolonged and/or increased swelling and bruising.
Sleeping on the treated area can cause discomfort and lead to a more challenging recovery process.
What if I’m Not Comfortable Sleeping on My Back?
To truly benefit from the rejuvenating effects of a NovaThreads lift, we recommend following your post-procedure guidelines diligently. However, we understand that a back-sleeping position can be difficult for some people. We hope the following tips for sleeping on your back can help you have a comfortable and successful recovery. Trying out these positions before your procedure can help you find out what works best for you and get your body acclimated.
Elevate Your Head With Pillows
Propping your head up with pillows can create a comfortable incline that supports your head and neck. Elevating your head also reduces swelling and promotes better lymphatic drainage, which can help minimize post-procedure puffiness. In addition, this elevation promotes optimal blood circulation, which is essential for healing and collagen production.
Consider Investing in a Wedge Pillow
A wedge pillow can be particularly beneficial if your usual pillows aren’t quite comfortable or stable enough to keep you on your back. Its unique triangular shape provides an elevated head position, which is ideal for maintaining the integrity of the thread placement and promotes lymphatic drainage and blood circulation.
Additionally, the angle of a wedge pillow supports your neck and spine, ensuring you remain in a stable, back-sleeping position throughout the night. This stability is crucial for preventing any accidental pressure on the face, which could otherwise disrupt the results of your thread lift.
Use a Rolled-up Towel for Neck Support
Adding a rolled-up towel behind your neck can offer additional benefits. It helps maintain a stable position while you sleep and provides gentle support to your neck, reducing the likelihood of inadvertently turning to your side or stomach.
Contact a Professional for Personalized Advice
Every individual’s recovery process is unique. Therefore, it’s beneficial to seek personalized advice from your thread lift specialist. At Sapphire Advanced Aesthetics, Dr. Leslie Smith and her team can offer tailored recommendations based on your specific needs and procedure details.
Lift and Smooth Your Facial Contours With a Thread Lift in Minneapolis
Achieving a refreshed appearance with a thread lift is not just about the procedure itself but also about the care you take afterward. By sleeping on your back with proper head elevation, you contribute significantly to the success and longevity of your results.
Are you ready to explore the transformative effects of a NovaThreads lift? Contact Sapphire Advanced Aesthetics for expert guidance and to discuss how this innovative procedure can rejuvenate your appearance.